Wednesday, May 25, 2005

To be In The Zone

In one of our tennis sessions, I can’t believe it myself one time the way I play. I suddenly became so active and play aggressively well and produced some remarkably magnificent shots—running towards every ball and return it perfectly well. Then another friend commented, “He is just in the zone.” I suddenly become curious about the term.

Doing some research here are some definitions I found.

* - Being in the zone generally means being in a state in which your mind and body are working in harmony. You're calm yet energized, challenged yet confident, focused yet instinctive. "The zone really refers to when you're performing automatically,"

* - Being in The Zone is when everything goes right! You feel great! You’re on top of the world. Somehow you’re magically in the right place at the right time and everything is working out just like you want. To be in the flow is to be dialed into your natural state of clarity, presence and personal power. It's being free of tension, worry and draining emotions. It's living with a sense of ease, vitality and deep inner calm.

* - The Zone is the place of feeling good. It goes by many names. On a roll. In the flow. In a groove. Steamin’ Jivin’ Clickin’ Rockin’ or Cookin’. Many different names, one essence, one feeling.

As an athlete I always wanted to be in it. It feels great and the more you exert much effort the more it feels great and just the way they were mentioned above. As a spectator I also want to see an athlete or both competitors in such situation. This makes the game more exciting and could bring the crowd to wild cheers and thunderous applause.

In theory, it is possible that someone can practice and work out ways in order to be in the zone, the same way that some sports strategists also were able to develop ways to break the rhythm or put you out of it. In my opinion I hate it when a competitor use the latter in order to win matches. I always wanted to see athletes bring out the best of himself as well as of his opponent.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Hi Santi,

I enjoyed reading one of your old entries about learning to play the guitar. How's it going? Have you stuck with it? I empathize with your suspician that you're not "gifted". I thought that way about my own playing for most of the 18 years I've been playing. But I'm learning now that simply being gifted with the desire to play is a powerful gift, much more important than having special talents in learning quickly.

You should come check out my blog! I post a lot of lessons and tips for guitar players. Here's the link:

A Guitar Teacher's Lesson Notebook

Feel free to comment, link to my site, and use any of the materials on my site. For instance, I've got tons of chord charts here:

Heartwood Guitar Chord Charts

Hope you like it,

Rob

1:47 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Well hello there pardner! You're back!

It's all about competition as well. Personally, being in the zone means being able to withstand whatever gets in your way and you're still able to become a winner in your own definition in the end.

Who is your competitor? It's yourself, no one else. You don't let others affect you. It's having the confidence in yourself that you can do it.

Hmmm...Bagong template..you finally had the chance to catch up huh?

Hope to hear from you more often. Tagal mong nawala.

11:00 PM  
Blogger rolly said...

I was never athletic but i know how to play tennis and badminton, though. hmmm, kelan kaya ako mapupunta dyan sa zone na yan aat sawa na kong parating talunan e. hehe

3:21 AM  
Blogger santi said...

Hi Rob,

Thanks and I did visit your site and will be visiting you a lot.

Hi Ate Ting,

Yes, I believe in that also "become a winner in your own definition in the end". I will try to really catch up and blog more often.

Hi Tito Rolly,

In all sports or even in life we enter in this "zone" once in a while. It is just that others can maintain and stay in it longer than others. That is through constant practice to arrive in a state wherein your mind and body works harmoniously and you just perform or become the best of what you really are capable of. (that's what I've read)

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Undelete uniform Best exercise fast loss weight Nico infiniti Illinois bextra side effects buspar vtec military personal loans What are some common tax deductions Forex trading models Hand held computer carrying bags Millions money finances 6-figure cash fast emarketing

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home