Saturday, October 02, 2004

(Not) Too Late to Learn the Guitar

I am trying to learn the guitar again. Actually, before I left the Philippines to work here, I already know some simple chords but still cannot play a decent tune or music. Now that a friend of mine who went home for good gave me his old guitar I have decided to have it a try again.

During one of my vacations, I bought some chordbook and I also found some instructional manuals on how to play the guitar. At least what I am aiming for is for me to play something which I can appreciate not really to become a good musician. Some sort of a challenge where I will have to struggle in a field I know I am not good at. But as a consolation, my singing and knowledge in playing the guitar goes together, in other words they are both bad--out of tune, bad timing, etc.

I am just wondering why there are those who really excel and perform well in this field. There are also those who are (though I am not sure of the proper term and spelling) "mawido" - one who is capable of learning things in an instant. You just have to show him how and he can easily manage to learn it all by himself. A natural talent as they say and as if they are just waiting for the moment and it will just comes out. And since they are playing it from their heart, they can get the audience feel what they want to feel.

Well I just have to accept that there are really those who are born to perform and play the music well and I belong to those who are born just to appreciate them. But still I have to try, learn, play and appreciate it in my own way.

10 Comments:

Blogger BongK said...

hey, email me at greenkingstone@yahoo.com, i can send you some songs with guitar chords, dont stop learning (playing guitar) while you can, it will help you ease loneliness

2:34 AM  
Blogger Dr. Emer said...

I also do not know how to play the guitar but willing to learn when I get the chance. I would also like to learn how to play the violin. I'm glad you are learning how to play the guitar. As Tito Rolly and Batjay would attest, it soothes the nerves. =)

3:27 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

I play the piano when I'm stressed out, down, or cannot sleep. It does loosen me up. Besides, I believe in the saying that you don't stop learning even until you're old.

8:49 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

I play the piano when I'm stressed out, down, or cannot sleep. It does loosen me up. Besides, I believe in the saying that you don't stop learning even when old.

8:49 PM  
Blogger rolly said...

You know what? There are plenty of guitar sites that you can find via the internet. I also started with chords when I was beginning to learn how to play the instrument. May Jingle mag pa non. But you're in luck, learning the guitar is more scientific now. Try looking at tablatures instead of just chords. This is how it works: The numbers represent the fret and the lines, the strings. Numbers aligned together is a chord. The only handicap with tabs is that you don't have a time signature but that's okay. Play it together with the record. It's so easy and is more accurate. You will be playing the guitar just like a pro in no time.

4:26 AM  
Blogger santi said...

BongK,
Thanks, I did email you. OK lang kung wala. BTW kahit na palso pa akong tumipa I do enjoy playing it.

Doc Emer,
I also like and enjoy listening to violin music. Just the thought of it, it seems very hard to learn the violin.

Ting Aling,
I did say "not to late to learn" para hindi halata na I'm already too old to learn it, he-he-he.

Bayi,
Yes I also agree with that and thanks for the encouragement.

Tito Rolly,
Thanks for the tip. As soon as I read your comment I search via google and found some site like the one you've said.
Actually I know some chords already (in my mind) but my problem is in putting them together to create a good music. But I'll still hold on to what you have said, just keep on practicing, maybe someday without me knowing it I am already playing good music.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Cerridwen said...

good luck and I am sure you will be able to manage it...you seem to be the kind of person who will not easily give up...

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rhythm guitar.

When I first saw a 12 year old friend make great music---seemingly out of thin air!---
with just a guitar and a piece of paper with some music squiggles on the page, my jaw dropped.

I was so hooked.

It took me nearly another 20 years to rhythm guitar

Boy! It can take you way less than 20 hours now!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how read guitar sheet music.

Mentally learning the 10 letters of the guitar music reading alphabet:

a,e,i,o,u,d,b,p,t,s

makes learning how read guitar sheet music way, way easier than learning how to physically control 10 fingers to play guitar.

4:03 PM  
Blogger seemun said...

hey, dont give up. I took up guitar a year ago and my skill still sucks. :P .. nvr 2 late to learn!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home