Monday, November 01, 2004

Sacrifice

Queen takes pawn
Pawn takes Queen
Knight takes pawn, and Checkmate!

I learn to play chess at the age of six and I used to frequent our local barber shop where my father also used to hang around and also play the game. It is not hard for me to learn the game and the more I watched, the more I understand how to win games. I also started to learn how to make a "sacrifice" and usually in this game, those who are doing it seems to be having an exhibition and it also makes the game more exciting. That's how I understand sacrifice then, as simple as exchanging major pieces with minor pieces or giving up as many pieces in order to achieve your goal: to checkmate the King, or sometimes only just to have enough compensation and gain slight advantage in exchange for the lost pieces.

At age 20, this was the time I first experienced to be "sacrificed". One of my mother's co-workers announced that there is an opening for work in Saudi Arabia. As we are having financially difficulties then, my mother talked to me and that means I have to stop studying and take this job to help the family. Let me just tell here that I did not feel being "sacrificed" then. I was willing and feel very excited about it, but I have to admit that I also feel sad and worried for being away for the first time and did not know yet what it feels like living in another country. It was quite a mixed feeling.

But I did not really find it hard at first as there were also many Filipinos that welcomed me here and they were very supportive and friendly. Besides, at that time we were always busy and there's a lot of overtime work. It was really a very wonderful feeling when I first sent my first salary back home. My first homesick started only after I first make a LD phone call since I was able to talk to every member of the family. But because of the compensation I tried to tell myself that I can and I have to stand it.

Years and years past and now I already have my own family and I am still here. I just thought that this is the life chosen for me. I don't see myself to have any success if I try my luck back home yet. I still have to make a "sacrifice" and as long as we are still allowed to work here I will have to bear it for my family.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cerridwen said...

I am sure your family is proud of your sacrifices. May you continuously succeed in life. :)

I am a chess player too ... but I tend to irritate the other person for taking too long to make a move...I do the same in life.

10:34 PM  
Blogger rolly said...

At least your sacrifice pays off. and well... It would be heartbreaking if it didn't. i am sure your family lives well. It's a pity that life is really like that. Somehow, something has got to give.

mas mahirap ang sacrifice ni Jose Rizal and his brother Paciano. Rizal sacrificed his life, while Paciano sacrificed everything for his brother who he knew had better chances of making it big. And most of all, may mas hihigit pa bang sacrifice na ginawa ni Jesus?

Think along those terms and you'll be okay. :-)

1:49 AM  
Blogger BongK said...

life is like a game of a chess, you would make sacrifices in order to win... just cherish the "win" in life, it will pay off all the sacrifices..

cheer up

8:04 PM  
Blogger santi said...

Thanks Cerridwen,
It is the quality of move that counts. But that's why the chess clock was entered into the game. I enjoy fast paced chess game but the long game is where you can appreciate deeper moves which you or your opponent can explore.

Tito Rolly,
I say yes, as in better than before, but still have to struggle to at least maintain a decent lifestyle.
Thanks and I'll always remember that.

BongK,
Thanks bro, that's also why I chose the analogy.

9:38 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

At least you have a strategy and you have a goal. More power to you!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rachelle Grace said...

sorry for giving a comment that's off-topic but i just want to say that i like the "design" of this entry ergo how you constructed it. especially that chess intro. :)

anyway, goodluck with everything santi! just always strive to be happy in everything you do.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»

2:21 AM  
Blogger santi said...

Hi there (anonymous), whoever you are and whatever brought you here WELCOME and many thanks also.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Tramadol hc side effects + infiniti Act systems security florida bulk email program marketing services connecticut willington laser tatoo removal Stationery affiliate marketing drug interaction paxil Start sending bulk email kitchen stores in orange county california Buy opt email lists uk wild sexy nude teens

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home