Sunday, August 29, 2004

OLYMPICS: The Greatest Show on Earth

I hope and I wish it always remain this way. Every four years this is the time when and where we will be able to see the best athletes from around the world compete in their particular events to determine who is the best in the world. I hate to see something which would destroy these games like doping, scandals and cheating.

The first day of the competition is the one very memorable to me. Of course, the opening was very great but the first event, cycling, is how I wish all other games should be conducted. Except for some minor accidents, everybody did their best, have to struggle for some time and at the finish line everybody congratulated each other especially the winner. You can see the respect each participant give to each other and show how much they love their profession.

Another impression I would like to make is regarding the officials. Every athlete is given medal if they came out best for their particular event. I wish they would do the same thing with the officials. Everytime, we only notice the players or participants and give less attention to the officials. But every game cannot be complete without these officials. Though I admire those who did their job well I am very disgusted with those who acted irresponsibly. Every athlete spent so much time and dedication just to prepare for this event. The officials should see to it that the athletes will really have the chance to prove to themselves who deserve to be the winner. It is very unfortunate if the outcome will be affected by the decision or lack of decision of some officials. In my opinion there are some events which the officials should give attention on improving the scoring system to determine the winner. These are in gymnastics, diving, boxing, and tae-kwon-do. Usually the results in these games are controversial because most of the time it is perceived that the officials are the ones who are involved in the outcome.

I would also like to make an impression regarding the attitude of some players or athletes. It is as if “winning” is everything for them. Too much pride blinded them and this is not good for the sports. I hate it when I see a participant lose interest or suddenly stopped and quit just because he/she has no longer have the chance for the medals. I love those who even if they are more than four hours behind still strive and feels very very happy reaching the finish line. There are those who really handle defeats very well.

Lastly, I would just like to make some comments regarding our participation in this Olympics. Though I was only able to see one match, that is one match in tae-kwon-do, I have to say that I love the performance of this girl, the sixteen year old participant Ms. Rivero. Though she lost her match I can see that she did her best.

Every four years or especially after the games, we can always hear how disgusted our countrymen that our athletes again failed to win a gold medal. Some analysts have given their opinions on what is wrong with our preparations and on how we choose our atheletes. I would just like to add my one cent.

I think our officials should concentrate on establishing and improving sports programs and facilities for the athletes. Our approach is the reverse. I can see that our officials usually scout their talents first. Then train him/her the best way they can and there they go to the Olympics. My point is that the tools, facilities and techniques should be there first so that we can invite the interest of a larger pool of atheletes. We should follow what Romania is doing, a very small country but they are able to produce the best gymnasts in the world not only once but every time they compete they are competitive.

Everytime we can hear so much offer from individuals who will give millions of pesos to whoever wins a gold medal in the Olympics. I want to see if these individuals are sincere with their offers. Why not at least half of these pledges be put in the process of establishing and developing sports programs in the country. They should help the atheletes more in achieving their goals rather than rewarding them only when they have achieved it. We can start with those sports which we have the best chance of winning and then build up on to other sports as we gain progress. We do not have to hurry, what is important is that we are moving forward and making progress.

Though I love to see one of our athletes win a gold medal or see the country’s flag being raised at the top, I would like to say that we still have a long way to go to achieve this. The competition is getting tougher each time and this is not like some sort of lottery. Luck plays only a small part of it, always it has to be how well you have prepared for it. I hate it when our officials hope for a medal in some events when our athelete's best performance is way below the standards of other country's athletes. What is important is that we improve our chances everytime we participate and not just hope for a gold medal out of nothing.


4 Comments:

Blogger ting-aling said...

I was telling my kids that I am willing to sponsor one Filipino Athlete to the Olympics in Beijing. He/she can even stay with my family if he/she wants to train--free chow...out of desperation of course..my daughter is a member of her school's swimming team but she doesn't have the mindset for competition, so is my son who is in his school's football team. I think it is so obvious that over daily grind, every person would rather look after his/her welfare rather than training for four years for the Olympics.

8:09 PM  
Blogger santi said...

You're right Ting Aling, this is one of the realities. Most of the time those with talents are affected by family problems. Other countries have a very comprehensive sports program which sometimes include livelihood for atheletes and they start them since the early childhood.
I would also wish that at least one of my children will have a strong interest in sports. They are still very young and if ever they do, I will give them all my support.

10:19 PM  
Blogger BongK said...

i have high hopes for Filipinos, i know in time we will make it to the Olympics

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home