Thursday, June 08, 2006

Education: Some Suggestions

The sad reality is that education in our country is like justice. If you are poor, if not difficult, you will also not get it. It’s always been a problem and you can really see and feel the disparity between public and private education in our country. And as I have read in the newspaper it is even worsening especially in terms of statistics of those who can express themselves and able to do simple arithmetic.

I have suggested earlier here in my blog with regard to “slow learners” in our elementary level. Grouping them and allow them to go on their own pace in order for them to be able to really learn instead of competing or keeping pace with their brighter and more active classmates.

Let us say for example, you can see grades like this:

Math I = 75%
Math II = 75%
Math III = 75%
Math IV = 75%

I assume these grades might also be due to the generosity of the teacher, not wanting to give failing grades and allowing all students to pass and the only requirement is for him/her to attend his/her classes regularly.

What I would like to say is, why not just allow the student to stick to Math I for example (I am speaking here of “slow learners”) and allow these students to learn the basic well (maybe master them if they have to) instead of teaching them the complexities of the subject learn the whole course up to the end. They may not be able finish the school year reaching Math IV, for example, but at least they have learn something, instead of reaching or finishing Math IV and did not really learn anything. It is really very important, especially for them, to have stronger foundation. Even when I am teaching or training beginners in sports I also apply this principle: to learn the basic well and establish and build a strong foundation.

Another thing I would like to suggest, if we could only have somebody (maybe even more) from this group (slow learners) to come up successfully and maybe become also teachers. I believe they will be in better position to help this group, having gone through the hardships of being one. They will be in better position as to their dedication and perseverance to really help these children. I believe most educators who develop programs for the school are too smart and too intelligent but to the disadvantage of poor and/or slower students because their programs are geared more towards the brighter students.

The problem in education (especially in elementary level in public schools) has been with us year in and year out. Might as well we really take the challenge and really do something about it. Mine is only some humble suggestions. I also dream of becoming a teacher before. I ended up here living and reaching now half of my life doing overseas job. I hope there would really some concerned groups who will be able to solve the problem.