Saturday, August 21, 2004

Go Here! Come There!

I read back my previous posts to see if I wrote them right. A sigh of relief, I told myself, not bad.

I am now on my sixth of my stay here and with only a month of vacation per year, I've just found out that I have been here for a very very long time. I remember when our superiors used to be Americans or British, at that time almost all the communications are in english. But now because of the country's Saudiization program communications in english become minimal. The Americans were all gone and there are some few British left. We are accompanied now with few Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi. Each one has his version of the english language. You can hear such words as, "You no go, I no go." And sometimes I did not noticed that I am beginning to speak the same way to, because if you speak it correctly they will not understand you.

This Blogging is a good release for me. Not only that I can practice my writing I am also enjoying to get to know some nice and/or some are even great people.


5 Comments:

Blogger santi said...

I forgot to mention the Thais in my entry. They were here in the early '80s (there are few of them left) and they are very nice people too. They also can't express themselves in english and since they are nice we try to communicate in the best way we can. The thing is it is not what language or in what way we express ourselves, it is better that we can deliver the message and understand each other. Sometimes even a smile, a handshake or a pat on ones shoulder is enough to really send what we want to say.

11:40 PM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

Stumbled on your site..been scrolling for sensible sites and when I made it here the first time, you were just welcoming yourself...not a lot has been said yet...well, I am glad I came back.

I find your observation about the English Language a little funny and true. Mind you, even where I am where English Language is spoken everyday (I am from the West Coast of North America), not a lot can speak fluently. My kids are laughing at the way their dad say things like "bat tab" for bathtub. In our Filipino community, a dad told his kid "don't pick up your nose in public" or a mom chasing her son to trim his fingernails said "come, i'll cut your fingers". My kids of course can't get over these but I always tell them "never mind the pronansyon, as long as you get the idia". How's that?

10:27 AM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

'just can't get over this..hehe..when I went to Jakarta, I found out that you can only find Indonesians who can speak English in 5 star hotels, still you could hardly understand what they are trying to convey..like when I asked for a direction to the washroom I got this "to your left is your right"...I followed his direction, I went left and turned right and voila..the washroom...'can go on and on and it's not really going to make any difference..

10:48 AM  
Blogger santi said...

Sometimes we find it funny but then we will realize that at least they are trying to express themselves the best way they can and as I've said when you find people being nice you won't care and seem to notice it, sometimes you will find yourself sounding like them. The Saudis finds it very hard to pronounce the letter f or p (they pronounce it as b), so when they as "Do you eat "bork" (pork)? Then, I will ask, "What bork?. Replied came, "Bork, you know big (pig) meat."

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Tv crap Patent leather garterbelt http://www.quote-for-travel-insurance.info/time_share_selling.html http://www.how-to-quit-smoking-5.info/www-stop-smoking-laser-com.html Throat cancer stage 3 Mature pix leeds life assurance brokers Hairy girls fannies L&aposallegra compagnia

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home