Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Realization

There are many things I learned ever since I come to know Blogging. Aside from being updated and read the news in different perspectives, there are also those experiences shared by others which could be of help or could be applied on your own.

There was this entry I read in CafeineSparks regarding "Fathers and Sons" which really strikes me. It is good that I come to know this and made me realize about my situation. I know I have always been away and understand that I am not fully fulfilling my share of being a father. I saw also the fact that I experienced the same thing from my childhood, on longing to be and wanting to have a good conversation with my father. Not that we are not close, but there seems to be something and I am always aloof to approach him, always it is to my mother.

Now without realizing it, it seems that I am doing the same thing to my son. It is better when he was still young, where everything he wishes was to play and I could do that to him all day. As he is growing up, I notice that he is more with his friends and I can see myself when I was in his age. That tendency to be wanting or as if waiting for a chance but could not express it. One thing though that I am very thankful is that despite my absence as a father, my wife is doing a good job of guiding them and bringing them up as good kids.

On my next vacation, I want to do something about it. I will have to find a way that we can be more at ease with each other.

7 Comments:

Blogger rolly said...

I have four children. Two boys and two girls. Parenting gets harder everyday now that they're in their teens. It gets more complicated as they study in the school where i teach. So, there's plenty of one another. We get into each others nerve especially with my two boys. You set rules they're set out to break. You get angry, they get angry back. You have to learn when to tow the line. You just hope that at the end of the day, they don't get to hate you that much.

8:48 AM  
Blogger ting-aling said...

I am the holder of our clan's family tree. When we had a reunion, I asked my Dad about their family history and he couldn't say anything except that his dad was a strict person, you could hardly say anything. My dad was repeating history when we were growing up but mellowed down a bit. We, his children of course recognized the fact and we initiated the "warming up". My mom's family was more liberal so I think we got the feature from her. My brother has started the same strict pattern but I'm his constant reminder to be a nice Dad. My son is the most expressive of us all..he hugs his Dad and kisses him at 14 and he's not ashamed of it. On my husband's side, I'm so pleased that my husband still hugs his father, lays in bed with him whenever we go home and it's always a sight to see them catch up with their 11 months of being apart. My message being..it's not too late and there's nothing wrong in showing your emotions..life is short and so enjoy the rest of what's left of it.

9:45 AM  
Blogger santi said...

Bayi, Tito Rolly, Ting Aling,
Thanks to all of your comments. This is really one good advantage of Blogging. You have the chance to bring out something from your own, find out that there are also other people that can relate to you, and maybe you could learn from them or them from you on how they/you have overcome it.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Dr. Emer said...

I pray you and your son could have more time together. Mas maganda kung kayo ang maging barkada. :)

5:17 PM  
Blogger santi said...

Thanks Doc Emer and that is really what I am aiming for.

10:06 PM  
Blogger santi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home